Xiling Snow Mountain
The Xiling Snow Mountain (Xi Ling Xue Shan) is located in Dayi County, about 105 kilometers west of Chengdu, the capital city of China's Sichuan Province. The main peak is 5,364 meters above sea level and is snowcapped all the year round. It has become a popular winter destination these years for its newly-opened ski resort.
The Xiling Snow Mountain acquires its fame when Du Fu, a famous Tang Dynasty (618-907) poet lived in seclusion in the east thatched house and wrote down the famous phrase "the window contains the range of the century snow from Xiling, the gate anchors the ship coming from Kingdom of Wu." The Xiling Snow Mountain is divided into the front mountain and the back mountain. The back mountain is better than the front mountain in terms of enjoying landscape and for playing with the snow. The people usually refer to the ski resort on the mountain when mentioning the Xiling Snow Mountain.
The Xiling Snow Mountain falls within dimensional temperate zone, and tourists can travel all the four seasons. The flowers blossom in spring, waterfalls flows in summer, red leaves spreads the whole mountain in autumn, and the snow scene is fantastic in winter. The mountain has varieties of flowers, rare birds and animals, primeval forests, sheer precipices and overhanging rocks. Touring the mountain, visitors can feel the interest of alpine natural view such as rapids, waterfalls, sea of clouds, sunrise, and Buddha halo (in Yin and Yang Boundary).
Xiling Snow Mountain Ski Resort
The Xiling Snow Mountain Ski Resort is located at an elevation of 2,100-2,800 meters. It claims to be the largest ski resort of its kind in China (7 sq.km.). Its proximity to a major transportation hub like Chengdu makes it easily accessible to for domestic and foreign skiing enthusiasts. It can cater to those who wish to try activities such as skiing, snowboarding, sledging, snowmobiling, motor-skiing, hot-air ballooning, gliding, and so on.
Best Time for Skiing
Depends on the snowfall, usually the best time for skiing in the Xiling Snow Mountain is from the end of December to the end of March of the following year.
Due to Xiling Snow Mountain's relatively cold climate (during the winter months the temperature hovers just below the freezing point, often dipping to minus 10 ℃, but given the ski resort's high altitude and the clear, sunny weather, the temperature feels considerably warmer), the ski resort's snow conditions during its peak winter season remain stable. Once winter conditions descend upon Xiling Snow Mountain, the snow on the ski resort's ski runs quickly reaches a depth of 60 centimeters, and remains in the 60-80 centimeter depth range for the duration of the winter.
How to Get Xiling Snow Mountain from Chengdu by BusXiling Snow Mountain is one of the many popular tourist sites in Sichuan Province. Like many such places, tourists from China and abroad must usually first stop in Chengdu, the capital of the province, before heading to this famous ski resort.
1. Wave for a taxi, climb in, and go to 59 Linjiang Lu. This is where the bustling Xinnanmen Bus Station sits. It's pronounced xīn nán mén qì chē zhàn in Chinese pinyin and every driver knows this place well. It is located near the center of the city, just a little bit to the south, and should be under 20 RMB from most points and hotels within Third Ring Road in Chengdu. The contact number for the station is 85433609. Buses leave typically each hour and sometimes twice an hour; it all depends on the time of year and demand. Just know you won't be waiting too long once you get to the station.
2. Go to the counter and ask for a ticket, either one-way or round-trip, to Xi Ling Xue Shan (xī lǐng xuě shān). You will save a few RMB by booking round-trip, but note you can connect from Xiling Snow Mountain to other tourist sites
around Sichuan. A one-way ticket is 33 RMB, but can vary slightly depending upon demand.
3. Go through the security check, grab your baggage and find the correct gate for buses heading to Xiling Snow Mountain.
4. Check to see when the next bus is leaving, buy any snacks and drinks if desired, and line up and wait for boarding to be announced. Be sure to keep an eye on your belongings and your fellow travel members, especially if you have children.
Xiling Snow Mountain Tour Packages
We offer 2 worry-free tour packages of the Xiling Snow Mountain, which are incorporated in many interesting activities in the Xiling Snow Mountain Ski Resort, many expats in China and tourists from Asia, South America, UK, and Australia have traveled with us by booking the 2 itineraries.
In this section
- Ancient City of Langzhong
- Ancient City of Lijiang
- Ancient City of Pingyao
- Beijng Temple of Heaven
- Chagan Lake
- Jinshanling Great Wall
- Jiuzhaigou Valley
- Mount Emei
- Mutianyu Great Wall
- The Great Wall
- The Yellow Mountain in Winter
- Xiling Snow Mountain
- Yellow Mountain
- Zhalong Nature Reserve
- Zhangjiajie National Forest Park