Do you have a question about trip to Harbin in winter? You're likely to find the answers to the most common questions about visiting Harbin here. If not, feel free to ask a question yourself, either by emailing or phone.
1. Q: Do I need a Visa to enter Harbin?
A: All visitors to China require a Visa which MUST be obtained before arrival in the country. The usual visa is valid for 3 months from the time of issue and is good for multiple entries to the country. Visas are issued by all Chinese embassies and consulates and can take up to 1-2 weeks to process.
2. Q: What happens when I arrive in Harbin?
A: One of the ways in which we will help make your trip to Harbin easier is to have our representatives assist you to make all your transfers. You will be met at the airport or train station by one of our professional team who will be carrying a placard bearing your name. The same standard of care will be afforded on your final departure from Harbin.
3. Q: What about my Personal Security?
A: The safest way to carry your tickets, passport and travelers’ checks is in a money belt worn under your clothing. Harbin is generally a safe city and you would be extremely unlucky to have anything stolen. It is wise to take precautions and always be alert. Small amounts of money can be carried in a bumbag or shoulder purse. This ensures you do not need to pull out a pile of 100RMB notes for a 1RMB purchase. All hotel rooms have secure locks and some people prefer to leave their suitcase locked inside the room. For air and train travel your bag should be securely locked. It is a good idea to carry a photocopy of your passport, visa and tickets and the serial numbers of your Traveler's checks. If you are unlucky enough to lose any of these valuable items it will greatly assist in replacement.
4. Q: Can I find some Western restaurants?
A: Yes, there are many western restaurants in Harbin.
5. Q: If I trip to Harbin during the ice festival, do I need to book hotel in advance?
A: Yes, advanced booking is essential to avoid disappointment. As you know, thousands upon thousands of tourists flock to Harbin during the festival every year.
6. Q: How does Harbin look in Chinese?
A: Simplified Chinese: 哈尔滨Traditional Chinese: 哈爾濱
7. Q: When are the dates of the annual Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival?
A: The festival usually starts in January 5 and continue to the end of February.
8. Q: What cloths to wear during my trip to Harbin in Winter?
A: It is necessary to wear down jackets, woolen pants, snow boots, hats, scarves and gloves, everything that can keep you warm. Because the weather is chilly and very dry, it is suggested that you wear a mask to protect your nose and lips.
9. Q: Where can I buy cheap winter clothes in Harbin?
A: the Central Street, where you can find many shops, shopping malls and stores.
10. Q: How much time does it take to travel from Harbin train station to Harbin airport by taxi?
A: It takes about 30-40 minutes from the train station to the airport by taxi if don’t meet traffic jam. It costs about ￥150 – 200.
11. Q: Are there any entrance tickets for the different ice parks in Harbin?
A: In winter, most parks in Harbin become the venues of the international ice festival, tourists have to buy different entrance tickets when they visit different parks.
12. Q: Is it possible to participate in snow or ice sculpting during the ice festival?
A: There are national and international ice or snow sculpture competitions during the ice and snow festival. And they are usually held at the earlier stage of the festival - the end of Dec. and the early Jan. If you want to participate in the international competitions you must get invitations from the sponsors.
13. Q: What is the best month to visit Harbin?
A: January and February! The ice festival is held in the city.
14. Q: I am a bit confused of the location of the Ice and Snow World, where exactly in Harbin is it located? Is it close to Sun Island Park?
A: The Ice and Snow World is located at north of the Sonhua River in Songbei District, left side from the Songhua River Highway Bridge, to the west of the Sun Island Park. Tel: (0451)84884000
15. Q: How do I get to the Ice and Snow World from Harbin Train Station?
A: The Ice and Snow World is located at Songbei District, you can get there by two ways: 1. By taxi, about ￥30; 2. By bus routes: 88, 118, 336.
16. Q: How do I get to the Harbin East Railway Station (I’m trying to find a cheapest way) from Taiping Airport?
A: You can first take the airport bus to Harbin Railway Station, which costs about ￥20 . From Harbin Railway Station you can take public bus No. 6 to get to Harbin East Railway Station.
17. Q: Is there any discount for students ? Where can I book cheap hotels ?
A: There is no special discount for students, all the hotels even raise their prices during the ice festival. The hotels may relatively cheaper off the Daoli District, but too far from the venues of the ice festival. If you book our travel packages, we can get a good price for you using our travel rate.
18. Q: Can I rent skies in the ski resorts? I’m a beginner, can I hire a skimeister?
A: All the ski resorts in Harbin have skies for rent. You can hire a skimeister and pay him/her by the hour.
19. Q: I would like to know how to get to the ice festival from the railway station.
A: Harbin Ice Festival is held in several venues, actually the whole city is involved. Major Venues include Ice and Snow World (location: to the west of the Sun Island), Sun Island International Snow Sculpture Art Expo (location: Sun Island Park), Ice Lantern Show (location: Zhaolin Park) and some others. It is suggested that you book a tour to visit these sites. Have a look at our Harbin tour packages if you are interested.
20. Q: Is Erlongshan Ski Resort has a snowboarding for rent?
A: Yes, they have. It is RMB180 for 2 hrs , RMB260 for 4 hrs and RMB350 for a full day. Their phone number is 0451-57908333.
21. Q: What activities and events will be in Harbin Ice Festival ?
A: Usually ice sculpture competitions, snow sculpture competitions, ice lantern show, ice carnival, ice wedding ceremony, economic and trade fair, dance show and many winter sport events and activities are held during the festival.
22. Q: Where is the Harbin’s pick-up points for shuttle bus to Harbin Taiping International Airport?
A: The airport shuttle bus from Harbin city to airport departs from Harbin Aviation Hotel (address: 99 Zhongshan Road). The bus is available from 6am to 6:30pm, departs every one hour.
23. Q: Is it possible to see some of snow sculptures on or about 1st December ?
A: It is a little early to see snow sculptures on or about 1st December. If you are lucky, you can still see a few in some main streets. The best time to go is from mid December when the ice festival may open to the end of February.
24. Q: Could you please advise when the winter started in Harbin? September, November or December?
25. Q: Which is the best ski resort in Harbin?
A: Yabbuli Ski Resort. It is the largest and best of its kind in China, even in Asia. The resort is located at Yabuli Town of Shangzhi City, about 197 km from Harbin.
26. Q: What is the distance between Beijing and Harbin?
A: The distance between Beijing and Harbin is 1055.64 kilometers (655.95 miles).
27. Q: When will the sky turn dark in Harbin in winter?
A: The sky will turn dark at 16:30 in winter.
28. Q: When is the best time to visit Harbin Ice and Snow World?
A: The best time to see the Ice and Snow World is after the sky darker (16:30 - 21:00).