Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival
The Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival, commonly known as Harbin Ice Lantern Festival or simply called Harbin Ice Festival, mainly consists of four theme parks: Sun Island International Snow Sculpture Art Expo, Harbin Ice and Snow World, Songhua River Ice and Snow Harbin Valley, and Zhaolin Park Ice Lantern Fair.
The festival has been held since 1963. It had been interrupted for a number of years during the Cultural Revolution but had been resumed by 1985. Along with Japan's Sapporo Snow Festival, Canada's Quebec City Winter Carnival, and Norway's Ski Festival. The Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival is listed as the top 4 ice and snow festivals in the world.
(Harbin Ice and Snow World 2015)
Traditionally, the Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival open in mid-December and last to the late February. But its official opening ceremony usually held on January 5th each year. And the time is usually considered as the official date of the formal beginning of the festival. The festival includes many interesting activities and events, such as ice and snow carnival, international ice sculptures competitions, ice lantern show, sliding, ice-sailing, sledging, ice hockey, ice football, speed skating, cross-field skiing and Alpine skiing competitions, fishing, swimming, ice and snow film art show, painting exhibition, calligraphy display, photo exhibition, folk song and dance performances, wedding ceremonies on ice, trade talks, trade fairs and all kinds of national or international sports events etc.
(Harbin Sun Island International Snow Sculpture Art Expo 2015)
For years, the Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival has become the world’s most important winter tourist destination and photographers’ paradise. On December, January and February, thousands upon thousands of tourists flock to the ice city for their winter vacations, family holidays or honeymoon.
(Harbin Ice Lantern Fair 2015)
1. Entrance: The main entrance of the festival’s venue is by the Flood Control Monument.
2. Tickets: To enter different venues (parks) of the festival, you have to buy different tickets in different prices.
3. If you enter the Zhaolin Park before 15:30 pm can get a discount at ticket price, but it is not the best time to see the ice lanterns. After 5:50 pm, the best time there is no discount.
4. The Harbin Ice Festival 2015 will be closed at the end of February.
5. The theme parks of Harbin Ice Festival 2016 will have a trial operation from around December 24, 2015 to January 4, 2016. The festival will be officially opened to the public in January 5, 2016.
Questions & Answers about Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival
In this section
- Central Street
- China's Snow Town
- Dragon Tower
- Erlongshan Ski Resort
- Gogol Street
- Harbin Confucius Temple
- Harbin Ice and Snow World
- Harbin Ice Lantern Show
- Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival
- Harbin Jewish Cemetery
- Harbin Mosque
- Harbin New Synagogue
- Harbin Polarland
- Harbin St. Alekseyev Church
- Harbin Sun Island International Snow Sculpture Art Expo
- Harbin Volga Manor
- Harbin Xiangfang Mosque
- Heilongjiang Provincial Museum
- Ice Palace Restaurant and Ice Bar in Shangri-la Hotel Harbin
- Japanese Germ Warfare Experimental 731 Base
- Jihua Ski Resort
- Saint Sophia Cathedral
- Siberian Tiger Park
- Songhua River Ice and Snow Happy Valley
- Stalin Park
- Sun Island Ice and Snow Art Gallery
- Sun Island Park
- Temple of Bliss
- Yabuli Ski Resort
- Zhaolin Park